Still Walking

Still Walking

Go Fund Me

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Hope is Gone?

She's been there as long as I have, perhaps longer. In the beginning we would nod it passing and then we would say hello. Finally we became friends. We come upon each other and talk while about the things in our lives. We often spoke of Jesus.

In the picture I am actually pointing to the spot where I first notice something was wrong with my limbs, subsequently identified as ALS. But look just to the left of the path at the large, flat rock. I call that "The Praying Rock".  You see, every morning, year 'round, she would hike up that path to sit on that rock and pray. She was always there at sunrise, facing into the rising light.

I use to call her 'The Cane Lady", because for the first few years I saw her she was carrying a cane. Now it is I with a cane and she doesn't use one anymore. Eventually, I discovered her name, Hope.

Hope has been missing from the rock and from the park going on three weeks now. I am concerned. She was always there, rain or shine, every morning. She lives in Wilmington in a not so great a neighborhood. She told me there was often gunfire in the night. The last time I spoke to her she said she was going to come to my Bible Study; she wanted to hear what I said about Jesus. Now Hope is gone.


I still have the spiritual hope, even though this summer has not been kind to me. The last two months have brought further progression. My walking is a battle between me and my weakening legs, but I keep on stepping out every morning at dawn. It is a three-legged effort these days, with my fine walking stick keeping me more or less upright.

Nothing getting prettier these days at all. My legs are a wasteland of what they once were,  There isn't much real muscle tone left. It is difficult to get up. The legs tend not to support when I am rising up. I have several times now got up on my feet only to fill right back down. Fortunately, when this has happened I have fallen back onto a sofa or overstuffed chair.

A couple weeks ago I took what might be my last tub bath, I enjoy bathing, but it has become exceedingly difficult to get my body out of the trough. I must hook a leg over the top, then try to push myself up with the other leg and my arms until my rump slides onto the tub rim. Usually once to this position I can stand by grabbing the sink and pulling. This time I struggled and struggled to get myself seated on the edge, but as soon as I managed it I simply slid backward back into the water.


My feet look terrible. They feel  disconnected to the rest of me and I can't really reach them anymore. Putting on socks is something of a magic trick and clipping my nails an impossibility.

When upright upon my feet my balance gets tricky. It is as though my feet are on platforms sloping backward, which causes me to often stagger along in the wrong direction and also making an effort not to tumble over.

At the end of May 2016, when I had my first sigh of something being wrong it was n odd feeling in my thighs. Over the last few weeks that feeling has come to dominate my arms. I still don't know how to describe it. First of all, it feels like my major bones aren't connect; that is, like my wrist bones and hands are floating on their own as well as my forearms seeming disconnected from my elbows and my upper arms not fastened into the shoulders as they should be. There is also this...what...current tingling through my flesh. That is what I can't describe, but it feels like something between a tingling and a numbness.

I notice my weakness more. Today I bought a package of toilet paper at the stone had had a very difficult time lifting it from the cart onto the cashier's counter, then afterward, putting it in my car truck. Finally, I couldn't quite lift into the house. I had to kick it over the threshold.

I arms have grown thinner.

I am not complaining. It could be worse. It is just so strange and to a degree, frustrating. I do not feel sick. This is part of the curse, because I feel as if I should be able to do everything I did before, but I can't. I can't walk all that far. I struggle to pick up what a child can often lift with ease. I drop a lot of things. I make messes. And I get tired.

Oh do I ever get tired. Any effort tends to wear me out, and I mean to the point of exhaustion. Fatigue is a constant companion with ALS. Here are suggestions from the ALS Association for handling fatigue:


  • Balancing rest and activity. Save your energy for things you enjoy doing.
  • If someone is available to assist you with mundane tasks like cleaning,
    accept the help.
  • Do not try to push through the fatigue – it will not make it easier the next
    time.
  • Use Assistive Devices such as tub chairs, back scrubbers, thick-handled
    eating utensils, etc. An Occupational Therapist can determine what
    assistive devices would be best for you.
  • Get a handicapped parking sticker. Your local department of motor
    vehicles and/or the ALS Chapter Social Worker has the form for this.
  • Try to establish a regular sleeping pattern.
  • Avoid stressful situations as much as possible. Stress is fatiguing. Find
    pleasant, relaxing activities that work for you and do them.
  • Organize/prioritize/plan ahead.
  • Use common sense. If you have trouble walking, don’t resist getting a
    motorized wheelchair. If you have difficulty speaking and are having company in the evening, save your voice for when you want to be able to speak as well as possible.

     That seventh item, avoid stressful situations, is a pip. How do I do that. These last couple months have been really stressful. I've been suffering from sinusitis. Last month my wife had a bad traffic accident that put the car in the collision center for two weeks. She was physically okay, but emotionally not so great. The car was also due for inspection. I took it in just a few days after we got it back and praise God it passed. But I worried about that. She is scheduled for knee surgery next month. And do to more doctors and the accident money has poured out.
Along with the fatigue is the breathing issue. I sleep each night with a respirator over my mouth and nose. This is supposed to help reduce the fatigue. My breathing has grown less string. I get out of breath much more easily.

My lifelong Friend, Ronald Tipton, set up a GoFundMe account in my name. I thank him for caring.
Also  with much gratitude, I thank those people who donated to it. What was received help us through the last two months, but the accident and other unexpected expenses quickly dissipated what was received. But I trust God to provide what must be provided. 

Thank you all.

Now just typing out this post has brought on a good bit of fatigue. I will close and see what next month brings.

And I do pray it brings Hope back.





1 comment:

  1. Lar,
    A slow progression, or shall I say regression. We all have our final "adventure". The difference with you is that you know what yours is. I will post this update to your GoFundMe account.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to make a comment.